"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine, and at last you create what you will." -- George Bernard Shaw

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -- Winston Churchill

Friday, January 25, 2008

Change in plans

While this is related to family in that it deals with our future, James and I have discussed and determined a change of plans in relation to my academic pursuits once James has finished his PhD. Instead of becoming an accountant, I will be focusing my pursuits on becoming a lawyer. I was thinking the other day about why I wanted to be an accountant, is it because I love numbers? Am I passionate about accounting or about the detailed processes and procedures and the amount of technicalities which are inherent in accounting. I believe it is the latter, in which case I will love being a lawyer, from the informational point of view.
Once James is finished, during the process of getting him finished I'll start studying for the LSAT, I intend to pursue my JD, and possibly my JSD (why stop before you reach the top?). I know some of you have concerns, but James and I have worked it out and we feel it is the course for us to pursue, accounting was a good idea, but it just didn't have the right feel. Right now, as a result of precursory study, we have decided that Washington University in St. Louis will be my top pick, it is the best in the Midwest and in the top 10 or 20, depending on which ranking you look at. I know Mom, it is further away, but it would only be for 3 or 4 years, and we are still a ways from it. I haven't decided what specialties I would look into, but with a law degree from one of the top law schools, we are pretty confident that we could go just about anywhere and I would be able to get a job. James is planning on teaching online classes, so he would be home with the kids, and after a few years of experience, there wouldn't be much stopping me from being self-employed. We still have research and prep to do, but at last we feel like we have the right path ahead of us.

2 comments:

Alex said...

Good luck to ya. I just decided that law school was out, because I love computers too much... Funny how that works, ain't it?

Miranda Allen said...

Life does take twists and turns and sometimes we end up in an entirely different place than we ever thought we would.