"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine, and at last you create what you will." -- George Bernard Shaw

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -- Winston Churchill

Monday, January 14, 2008

Separation

I'm struck right now with a new realization about change. Not only is it a constant in our lives, it occurs sometimes in areas where we would least like it. I look back at the relationships I've had with family and friends, and yes, they too, are subject to change. Gone are the days of youthful promises about an unknown future. The future has a way of changing those promises. I applaud those who have kept them and I weep with those who lost them. Not all change is bad, but often we long for the things we had, like prior relationships where we received a great value. Perhaps our longing is because we know it will never be the same, yet our need or our desire for the value remains. Some relationships get better, compensating somewhat for those which bring sad thoughts of loss. Who can say which relationships will weather the storms of change. Is the best friend, I'll never leave you, I'll always be there for you? Or is it the more casual acquaintance with deepens with time? Are there some relationships which have a better chance of lasting? Who knows. All I can say, when I think about some of the relationships in my life which have changed in a disappointing way, is oh well, that happens, and I move on. Some of the relationships will lie in the dust until they blow away, some will continue in a different form, and some will bloom and grow forever.

4 comments:

Alex said...

Amen. I think on this topic every now and then. In my life, I've had _very_ few of what most people would call "best friends". The ones I've had have pretty much all fallen to the sands of time, distance, or other relationship-killers. It makes me very grateful to have a wife who is not only my best friend, but who will be around forever. During the times when I get a little down thinking of a friend I haven't seen or talked to in years, I don't have to look very far to find Nicole.

Miranda Allen said...

It is a relief isn't it to know that we have someone.

down in the valley said...

I've listened to seniors express their concerns about leaving their friends and 'What will I do? I won't ever see them!' I'm probably not much help, because I tell them life goes on and you make new and different friends. I like the quote from The Sound of Music "When God closes one door, he opens another one." (or something like that) Yes, friends are a good thing to have and the internet is an amazing way to keep in touch, but just as we change, so do they and things are never the same. Life is sure interesting!

Miranda Allen said...

Not all change is bad, but have you ever noticed how things that seemed so good when you were young are never as good as you remembered?