"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine, and at last you create what you will." -- George Bernard Shaw

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -- Winston Churchill

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My turtles and fish

I have to say that I love my turtles. I could watch them all day. My favorite thing is to feed them by hand. They are actually pretty good at not biting me.
Of course, we know that if children hold something close enough for them to bite onto, they don't let go until they are out of the tank and then they go flying. The turtle was none the worse for it's 5-6 foot flight and landing on a wood floor. It tucked in its shell and the kids gathered around, and then, they scattered as he came out and started crawling.
We like to supplement their diet with feeder goldfish. It's best to buy the cheapest fish possible because they typically don't last long, with the exception of our 6 remaining goldfish. We also have "the monster fish" which is a large plecostamus.

Painted turtles are spread, with different varieties, across the US. They are aquatic and do great in the water as long as they have a basking area to sit on. They are fun to watch when they are hunting. I still can't believe how fast they are.

They are very inquisitive, very interactive, and have very good eyesight. They'll see me in the kitchen and start scratching at the tank when they are hungry. Of course, they decided to be camera shy.

Here is a link to more pictures in my online album. https://picasaweb.google.com/hyamiranda/MyTurtlesAndFish?authkey=Gv1sRgCLvq0pyV-ImQKA&feat=directlink

No comments: